Ah, to wander over Paris! What an adorable and delectable existence is that! Flanerie (walking) is a form of science, it is the gastronomy of the eye. ~ Honore de Balzac
Kevin here.
Paris is quite possibly the greatest walking city on the Earth. Maybe not. I haven't visited them all, of course. But it's gotta be up there. You can walk just about everywhere, and there's always interesting or beautiful things to see. Usually both.
Kelly and I do a lot of afternoon walks, sometimes strolling around, sometimes shopping, sometimes heading to the grocery store. Often we're together with the kids. But we often take off by ourselves while the other one stays back at the apartment with the kids.
I know that some of you love to see what we see. So... here are more pictures of Paris taken from numerous afternoon walks! Don't forget that you can click on them to enlarge.
First... not everyone actually walks. There are plenty of cars in Paris (most of them small, of course, but not all). But there are lots of motorcycles and scooters.
![]() |
| Motorcycles and scooters, usually parked on the sidewalk. |
![]() |
| A covered BMW scooter. |
![]() |
| Trike! |
Next, I headed over towards the Champs-Elysees by walking west along the Seine:
And, of course, I stopped to admire many of the beautiful old barges moored along the river:
![]() |
| Barges on the Seine |
![]() |
| Bouquinistes! Bouquinistes! They are required by French law to be open at least 3 days a week or they lose their spot. There is an 8-year waiting period for stalls. |
![]() |
| Uh, I mean "table tennis." |
And then I spy this great building, a little more contemporary. But this is an arts district, so check out the columns:
![]() |
| Awesome columns at the front of this building. |
![]() |
| Beautiful -- and expensive -- chocolates. |
And this wine shop. It's hard to tell from the picture, but actual sized wine bottles are at the top of the picture, behind the glass, inside the store. The ones at the bottom are outside the store, on the ground. And are huge.
![]() |
| I like the "Bad Boy" in the middle. Indeed. |
![]() |
| Opera Garnier |
![]() |
| Saint-Michel Fountain. |
Over to Pont-Neuf. Awesome bridge. Thought the name means "new bridge" it's Paris' oldest one, built in the late 1500's. I love the stone heads (mascarons) that are a part of it's elaborate design:
Paris can be a dirty city (trash and cigarette butts everywhere, for example). But the city works hard to clean it up. Every morning, the city is awash (literally) with workers sweeping and hosing it down. Like these two guys cleaning the area around Pont Neuf:
![]() |
| Water comes from that hose that leads to a boat on the river that sucks it up from the Seine. |
I've done quite a few walks in Paris. But I really like exploring close to home as well. There are some great things to see within 5 minutes of our apartment, including the great Rue Mouffetard -- full of awesome shops and restaurants -- right around the corner from us, about a 3-minute walk. For example:
Interesting graffitti as you approach Mouffetard from the east:
Or coming up to Rue Mouffetard from the west, this great little square:
Amazing markets at the bottom of Rue Mouffetard on Saturdays:
![]() |
| Saturday market at Rue Mouffetard |
And why wouldn't it? Here is the place that we often buy wine:
![]() |
| My favorite wine shop on Rue Mouffetard |
![]() |
| Fromage! I'm not sure I can ever call it "cheese" again. |
Now, buying cheese in France is quite an experience. There are hundreds of different kinds. And they don't speak English in this shop. So... when these elements come together, you get something like this:
![]() |
| Whoa. |
Patisseries abound on Rue Mouffetard. This one has a great selection:
![]() |
| Patisserie |
![]() |
| Carl Marletti, our go-to patisserie! |
![]() |
| Love that fountain. And look at those cafes! And that architecture! |
![]() |
| Crepes! |
![]() |
| I liked the "baguette traditionale" while the kids like the plain baguette. |
![]() |
| All of us at La Comedia, just down the street from our apartment. |
And this is the major intersection we cross quite a bit -- to get to our apartment from the Censier-Daubenton Metro stop -- where Rue Censier meets Rue Monge:
And this strange photo is actually the front of our apartment, #13 Rue de la Clef. It's not the nicest Parisian apartment going. Hardly classical. But it's in a great location for us.
OK... one more picture. I like this one. Late morning/early afternoon from Pont-Neuf. The light was perfect:
Oh, and by the way. Here's a photo blog I found a few months ago. It's the kind of thing I wish I had written. I love it. It's called Paris Daily Photo. Enjoy! I know I will, even long after we've left this great city!









































1 comments:
So, next time you go to Europe for 80 days you won't blog?! You will be so glad yo put in the effort and *I* am so glad you did! How awesome is it that you have your favorite Wine shop, cheese shop and boulangerie? Can't wait to see you guys soon. Hope you don't have too much return culture shock...at the least, Your Dekalb Farmer's Market can help with the food part.
Post a Comment