It looked so innocent.
| I took this picture before I knew what was to come. |
And I was so proud of myself for ordering food in a restaurant where the waiter spoke NO english. The kids even ordered their own food "saucisse" (sausage). Kevin got a ham and cheese galette (wholewheat crepe, basically).
I also got a galette, called "la Normand," or something like that. Although the menu was in French, the ingredients that were listed looked pretty familar - jambon (ham), camembert (cheese), andouille (sausage), normandy sauce (cream sauce).
We received our food, and I excitedly cut into my food. It had an unusual smell, that I thought smelled like....Well, no, it couldn't be, surely not. I'm just being overly sensitive. So I take a bite. Ughh, not so good. Maybe it's my imagination.... I'll try another bite. Hmmm, no, still yuck. Was it the cheese? the sauce? I got Kevin to try it. The look on Kevin's face as he lunged for his coke was priceless. It confirmed my fears. Later I googled to see if any French food has the particular flavor that I tasted. And sure enough, I found something. Turns out, andouille and andouillette are not the same thing. One is sausage, and one is intestines. And well, if you eat, intestines, I'll let you figure out what that might taste like.
Lesson learned. Be more careful studying the menu.






2 comments:
Haha. Great story. I copied you and Googled "french food that tastes like p**p". First page "... andouillette has a strong, distinctive odor related to intestinal origins and components. Although sometimes repellant to the uninitiated, this aspect of andouillette is prized by its devotees. So, you are not yet a devotee? ;-).
I'm just laughing at what you might have googled. I will NEVER forget trying to translate "I don't eat organs" into Albanian.
Post a Comment