RSS

It's an adventure. Our family of five is taking a year off from... the normal. Less work. More travel. Even (gasp!) homeschooling! We invite you to come along with us as we head West. Then on to Europe. Even grand times at home in between! Our goals: Rest. Connect. Experience. We hope to grow closer as a family and gain a deeper appreciation of all that God is, does, gives. Scaled back commitments. Scaled up adventure. Come along with us as the story unfolds!

And we're off!

Our grand trip has begun!   I still can't believe it!   But I'm so happy to be done with packing and getting the house clean and all those details running through my head. And it's nice to be starting the trip that we've spent over a year and a half planning.  Wow!  So here's lots of pictures to show our first two days. 

About to leave for the airport

Here's all our luggage - one suitcase and backpack each.  It was a challenge to pack light, but I think we did it!
 
We took an eight hour trip to London.  We didn't get much sleep, but we're getting closer to our destination.
 When the kids weren't sleeping, they loved watching movies on the back of the seat in front of them.
 Finally arrived in London!  Our flight landed about 30 minutes late, due to fog.  And then our flight to Edinburgh was delayed about an hour, so we had plenty of time to hang out at the airport. 
 
 
 Grandma Wade, we found Nessie!  Anna really wanted to buy the pink one, but we convinced her to hold off until we go to actual Loch Ness!


After about three or four hours at the London airport, our flight left for Edinburgh.  Then we took a taxi to our Bed and Breakfast there.  Love the taxis!


 The place we're staying is right in the "new town" of Edinburgh (which means places are ONLY 150 years old).  We had to go up about three flights of stairs to get to our room.

 Yay, we're here!
 After we got settled into our room, we walked around town a little bit.  It's definitely chilly - 40s or 50s I think.   Temperature is measured in Celsius here, so I have to figure out what 3 degrees means in Fahrenheit....not quite as cold as I think!  Anyway, I took a few pictures along the our walk.  

 

It's hard to see, but Edinburgh Castle is up on the hill in the background. 



 

We ate dinner at this place, 1780,  recommended by the B&B owner.  It's a typical Scottish pub - small and cozy....
 ...and of course a wide range of beers!



 I got chicken and asparagus pie with "mash" - mmm great comfort food on a chilly Scottish evening
 Kevin got the fish and chips - DELICIOUS
 Anna said she loved her "typical Scottish meal."  Whatever!

After our yummy meal, we headed back to our room to crash!  We're all exhausted, but so happy to be here.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

4 comments:

Valerie said...

For a second I thought it was kevin that got the chicken and aspargus pie.. and wondering what happened on that plane ride. :^) And anna's meal is cracking me up! Looks like you guys are off to a good start! So fun!

Scott said...

Awesome. Quick Celcius to Farenheit conversion: double it and add 30. So 3C would be about 36F. (For you math nerds, it's actually 1.8*C+32=F, so 3C would be 37.4F.)

Dawn Wade said...

I want to see Kevin rockin' a kilt!

Katy said...

Someone definitely needs to wear a kilt and take a picture of it before you come home! Glad you made it safely.

Post a Comment